Sunday, April 27, 2008

Apple Ideas

Alright, I have to write about this, if only for my own personal time-stamp. It's probably in no way worth reading.

A few years I started thinking "Why doesn't Macromedia and Adobe merge?" It seemed pretty obvious to me. Then a few years later it happened. At the time, I was also thinking that they could buy a Linux company and produce a bootable Live-CD with trials / serial activated version of their software suite. Well, that last part never happened.

Then, when the SCO case came out, I was thinking "Hey, this is totally crap. It's not going to work out for them. Too bad I can't short their stock". It was all new then, but turns out that's how it turned out. Nothing exciting there, most slashdot nerd were thinking the same thing.

I was also wishing I could buy Google stock way back when it was growing but everyone thought it was going to stop and have some kind of correction. That one would have worked out too. But alas, I'm not an investor.

Anyway, I've been reading and watching and listening to a lot of personal computer history lately, and in particular I've been reading about Commodore in On The Edge. As I'm reading this, I'm thinking "Hey, how come Apple doesn't make even more stuff in house?"

Think about it. Back in the day, making a computer was really making a computer. It lots of ROM code and chips and video circuitry and disk controllers and figuring out where things go and how they should work. Today it's basically a CPU, almost always an x86, and a chipset and you're ready to roll.

I was thinking, like Commodore bought MOS Technologies in search of vertical integration, why doesn't Apple buy some chip company?

I just about lost my mind just now when I happened to catch that Apple has done exactly that.

So, from now on, I'm going to post all my crazy little ideas of what I think could, or might, or even should happen, just so I can say, if only to myself, "See, I saw that one coming."

Also, just for the record, and I have little hope, proof, or even supporting ideas, but I think Apple could get into the car market, as in building embedded systems for cars. Don't ask me why. I have no clue. I just see Apple in cars. The way Microsoft thought it would but never did.